One of the most unsettling noises a homeowner can hear is the drip…drip…drip of a leak, especially when that dripping noise isn’t happening in a sink or near a faucet! On a recent rainy morning, as I was rushing to get out the door, I was suddenly panicked to hear that noise from not just ONE place in the house, but THREE.
Water was dripping in over the fireplace in our family room, seeping through the floor from the deck into the kitchen, AND managing to find its way down the insides of the windows in the dining room. It was a bit of a mess.
The rain eventually stopped and so did the leaks. After some inspection, we were relieved to find out the leaking was due to clogged gutters, NOT some other structural issue. We called out the Gutter Squad and were very excited, when the next rain storm rolled around, that we were completely dry and leak free. We learned the valuable lesson on keeping the gutters clear of junk so the water can flow freely through the gutters, keeping the house clean, dry, and well, “healthy”.
Sometimes, we can get our minds all cluttered up with junk, you know? What we think about is affected by everything we take in: television, radio, internet usage, conversations with others, our senses, our worries, what we read, and so on. If we are not careful to run all that “input” through a filter, our minds can get clogged with things that dampen our spirits and skew our perspective in some pretty negative ways.
So, what’s the spiritual equivalent to a Gutter Squad clean-out?! Check this out:
THAT is the “gutter guard” of the mind, sweet friends. I don’t know about you, but THOSE are most definitely the kinds of things I want to be focusing on!! We know from this scripture from Paul that it pleases God (and therefore good for us!) when we think about things that are:
- True (reality based – as defined by God/Bible)
- Noble (worthy of respect by God and those you personally respect)
- Reputable (lawful and just under the jurisdiction of where you live AND most importantly, by God)
- Authentic (pure, untainted, natural)
- Compelling (attractive – morally and ethically speaking!) •
- Gracious (admirable, you can honestly recommend this idea/thought/concept to others as Godly)
- Beautiful (it is an exceptionally special thought/idea/place/person/etc. in the eyes of God)
- Worthy of praise (God will be pleased with this thought/idea/circumstance)
Therefore, when we sense we are taking our thoughts into muddy waters, we can meditate on (…meaning “to be mindful of and think on”) these eight themes to unclog the blockages and replace them with free-flowing water (the kind we talked about last week! ).
This week, to take a few moments out of each day to clear your mind. To unclog the pathways of junk in your soul and fill your spirit with Truth. Find a quiet place where you can breathe deep, let some things go, and find God. Be present in the moment, away from to-do lists and tasks that would normally occupy your mind. Give social media, television, and even radio a break and in their place fill up on healthier mind food – scripture, prayer, and focused time with God!
Following along with our summer series, easy 2016? Click here for the following items:
- Printable note to self with our mantra and scripture for the week!
- Printable copy of this week’s EASY recipe! (Kabobs – YUMMY!)
- Link to amazon.com to find out more about our SUPER FUN book for this month: Giddy Up, Eunice by Sophie Hudson (I mean SERIOUSLY – how could you NOT want to read a book with a title as awesome as that!)
- And if you like music, you can click this link which will take you to another great tune from our summer song list! This week, we’re dancing along to” Nobody but You”, by Dara Maclean!
Have a great week! See you back here next Monday for some seriously FUN talk about how to play like a girl… 😉 !!
Peace, love, and JOY!!!