“Nature is one of our greatest spiritual teachers.” Oprah Winfrey
Good lord, I LOVE Oprah. She is one wise sister friend! And that quote right there is one of my favorites because I think she is spot on – all the lessons we need to learn about life can be found by observing the wonders and rhythms of the world around us.
We learn the character of God in these wonders, don’t we? I mean, who else but a loving and creative God could design and make such diversity, resiliency, and beauty and put it on display for all of us to experience?
From the gorgeous flowers that bloom each spring, to the powerful weather that races across oceans, we can see and learn the value of appreciating amazing moments AND riding out the storms.
From the wide range of races and languages and dialects across the globe, we can learn that the goodness of God’s love is universal.
From the resiliency of the changing seasons we can experience that, even when things look bleak, a new season of growth is around the corner.
From the gentleness and grace of a sunset, we can plug into a peace that is unlike anything else.
All of these life lessons are ours because we have a Father in Heaven who loves us so much he wanted us to be surrounded by a natural world that would remind us of His goodness and care.
Take an easy hike outside this week and find things that meet the criteria listed below! Take pictures of them (you could even record them if you are more auditory than visual) or simply make of note of them in your notes section on your phone or journal.
- Something beautiful. (Colorful flowers, a blazing sunrise, a hawk in flight, a moving song, etc.)
- Something unique. (Individual shells along a beach, your child’s smile, the night sky tonight, a bird chirping, etc.)
- Something resilient. (Ivy growing on a brick wall, a bird rebuilding a nest, WEEDS in your garden ;), cicadas humming their end-of-summer tune, etc.)
- Something powerful. (Storm clouds, rushing water, a bonfire, thunder claps, etc.)
- Something peaceful. (Gentle waves, wispy clouds, leaves rustling in a soft breeze, a prayer whispered in the chapel, etc.)
Thank God for all the amazing “miracles” he created for your enjoyment and for the lessons we can learn by simply taking it all in and experiencing the ebb and flow of the seasons and all the wonder they bring. Regardless of the season, let him remind you that he is always good.
If you are following along with our easy 2016 summer series, we have reached our second to last week! Can you even believe it?! Only one more week to go! But never fear as we are already cooking up what’s coming next! We will announce our fall study in a few weeks. In the meantime…
- Link to this week’s mantra and scripture card!
- Link to this week’s yummy menu and recipe cards!
- Link to purchase/find out about our July book, Giddy up, Eunice, by Sophie Hudson!
- And click this link for another great tune this week by MercyMe, “Flawless” – one of my all-time favorites!!!
Have an easy week, sweet friends! See you next week when we wrap up the easy summer series!
Peace, love, and JOY!